Government announces five-year ban on cocaine-fuelled soccer hooligans

    (Getty Images/iStockphoto)

(Getty Images/iStockphoto)

Football fans caught with cocaine will be banned from attending matches for five years, according to new government plans.

In changes expected to be introduced during the next football season, those convicted of supplying or possessing Class A drugs could also be forced to surrender their passports if their team plays abroad.

Government Police Secretary Kit Malthouse warned of an “ugly violence” at some football games this season that “has shocked all leagues” and claimed that “more and more police are finding Class A drugs at the heart of this disorder”. added: “We must act.”

The new penalties will be implemented by expanding football ban orders, which a court can currently only impose on people convicted of violence, disruption and racist or homophobic chanting and online hate crime.

Mr Malthouse, who is set to announce the plans later on Thursday, said the ban orders are “a game changer in eradicating racism and violence in football” which the Government hopes will “do the same for drug-related disorders”.

The move, applauded by police and football officials, fits with the government’s stated aim to crack down on drug use, with Home Secretary Priti Patel previously reportedly wanting police forces to “make an example” of the wealthy, “high”. -Profileā€ cocaine users to change perceptions of recreational use.

Similar ideas have also surfaced in the government’s 10-year drug strategy, which, alongside a pledge to reduce “the stigma attached to addiction,” also included the option, “where relevant and proportionate,” of imposing curfews or suspending passports confiscate or driver’s licenses of repeat offenders caught using drugs.

In comments on Thursday, Boris Johnson claimed the habits of “middle class cokeheads” were “feeding a war on our streets”. This contradicts some experts – including his own drug kingpin – who say it is largely the crack cocaine and heroin trade that is fueling rising street violence in Britain.

“Middle-class cokeheads should stop fooling themselves, their habit is fueling a war on our streets that is fueling misery and crime in our country and beyond,” the Prime Minister said.

UK news in pictures

“That’s why we’re stepping up our efforts to ensure those who break the law face the full consequences – because illicit drug use is never a victimless crime.”

The Government said it hoped the new measures would prevent disorder like that seen at the Euro final between England and Italy last July, and Mr Malthouse added: “The football family wants every ground to be a safe place for fans, especially children, is and so are we.”

National Police Chiefs’ Council (NPCC) football chief Mark Roberts said he was “delighted” that the banning orders were being extended “to counteract the growing problems of disorder that we have been seeing, partly driven by drug use.” of class A”.

“Police and football authorities all support this measure and it is an important step in ensuring that drug use in football is tackled so that the majority of fans, particularly those with families, can enjoy themselves without suffering from anti-social behavior and violence. ‘ Mr Roberts said.

The UK Football Policing Unit, which deals with all football bans, “will coordinate activities with police forces and clubs from the start of next season to ensure we make the best use of this legislation to tackle drug use in football,” he added added.

Leave a Comment