Of Sporty life
09:07 · WED May 18, 2022
Read the latest football gossip and transfer rumors from the national newspapers with Sporting Life’s Paper Talk.
- Manchester City have targeted Brighton’s Marc Cucurella to fill his troubled left-back position and will make a £30million move this summer.
- Crystal Palace are now seriously considering flying to Merseyside just hours before Thursday’s clash at Everton to avoid being woken up by fireworks in the middle of the night.
- Manchester United’s trio of Marcus Rashford, Luke Shaw and Jadon Sancho are set to face Crystal Palace again on the final day of the season.
- Marco van Basten has urged Erik ten Hag to make Chelsea winger Hakim Ziyech one of his first signings as Manchester United manager.
- Brentford are pushing to win the race to sign versatile Scottish defender Aaron Hickey.
- Newcastle and Wolves’ pre-seasons have been thrown into disarray after a US tournament was canceled at short notice.
- Former Liverpool centre-back Martin Skrtel has ended his 21-year playing career citing health reasons in an emotional press conference in Slovakia.
- The threat that Wimbledon would be stripped of ranking points drew closer to reality on Tuesday night when the head of the women’s tour backed the idea.
- Gabriel Jesus’ agents are “in no rush” to settle the player’s future following Monday night’s Arsenal collapse.
- Chelsea have their eye on Eintracht Frankfurt teenager Luka Hyrylainen.
- Bayern Munich star Robert Lewandowski is reportedly willing to take a £100,000-a-week pay cut to join Barcelona this summer.
- Tottenham and England legend Teddy Sheringham expects ‘top pro’ Harry Kane to stay in Qatar this summer ahead of the 2022 World Cup.
- Dele Alli could leave Everton as early as the summer – having only signed a two-and-a-half-year deal in January.
- Wales could be without a Nations League manager next month as Rob Page’s contract expires after World Cup qualifiers.
- Tottenham will sign both Cristian Romero and Dejan Kulusevski on a permanent basis this summer, reports have claimed.
- Bruce Buck and Marina Granovskaia are part of a Chelsea management team that will receive £50million in bonuses once the club’s Todd Boehly-led takeover is complete.
- Antonio Conte is set to rake in a bonus of around £2.5million if he leads Tottenham to the Champions League.
- Arsenal’s likely failure to qualify for next season’s Champions League will not prevent the club from investing heavily in their first-team squad this summer as Mikel Arteta desperately seeks a handful of high-profile additions to his fledgling team to win.
- Todd Boehly’s takeover of Chelsea will be given the green light by the Premier League this week after it emerged that a former Unicef boss has written to the government saying Roman Abramovich cannot benefit from the deal.
- Dean Henderson is more likely to leave Manchester United on loan than on a permanent deal this summer, with Newcastle among clubs weighing a move for the England goalkeeper.
- Brendan Rodgers is considering a £14m offer for RB Leipzig winger Ademola Lookman as he prepares for a summer overhaul of his squad.
- Cristiano Ronaldo has surprised other Cheshire residents by joining his local gym – albeit an exclusive £255-a-month gym – and working out there in addition to sessions at Manchester United’s training ground and his own private space at home .
- Scotland midfielder Caroline Weir is on the verge of a move from Manchester City to Real Madrid this summer.
- Newcastle’s new owners have reported a reduced after-tax loss of £12.2m and pumped in £167.9m since arrival, the club’s latest annual accounts reveal.
- West Ham want Watford striker Emmanuel Dennis in £20m deal
- Manchester United will be in contention with rivals Manchester City this summer to sign River Plate’s Enzo Fernandez, according to reports from his native Argentina.
- Roma have reportedly expressed their concerns to Jose Mourinho about whether or not to pursue Manchester United’s Nemanja Matic.
- Lionel Messi’s camp have reportedly denied he plans to join David Beckham’s Inter Miami next summer and take a 35 per cent stake in the MLS franchise after his contract with Paris Saint-Germain expires.
- Liverpool are reportedly targeting Torino defender Gleison Bremer ahead of this summer’s transfer window.
- Liverpool will battle Manchester United this summer to sign Antony, despite the Ajax star’s manager Erik ten Hag making the move to the Red Devils.
- Tottenham Rennes striker Martin Terrier has reportedly made a proposal as Antonio Conte eyes a productive back-up for talisman Harry Kane.
- Jose Mourinho could return to haunt Tottenham this summer if Roma decide to rekindle their interest in Paulo Dybala.
- Arsenal are offered another chance to sign Barcelona’s Samuel Umtiti this summer with William Saliba’s future at stake.
- Rangers youngster Chris McKee is ready to join Linfield on a permanent deal.
- Shrewsbury Town youngster Ben Crompton has reportedly turned down a deal with Celtic ready to tumble.