Saskatchewan COVID-19 reports transition to monthly schedule

The Chief Medical Health Officer, Dr. Saqib Shahab says residents should continue to carry out “their own personal risk assessment” during the summer months.

content of the article

The provincial government will begin moving COVID-19 coverage to a monthly schedule starting next month.

The last weekly report will be published on June 30th. After that, a three-week report covering the period from June 26 to July 16 will be released on July 21. The first report with data for a month will be released on August 18th.

The report will continue to be posted to the Saskatchewan government website on Thursdays at 1:30 p.m.

“In recent weeks, the COVID-19 surveillance indicators point to a declining trend in COVID-19 infections,” the health ministry said in a media release. The Chief Medical Health Officer, Dr. Saqib Shahab noted that the frequency of reporting may still be adjusted as the province continues to monitor trends in COVID-19 data.

Shahab said residents should continue to conduct “their own personal risk assessment” during the summer months, considering using a mask and staying up to date on COVID vaccines and booster doses.

He recommended improving ventilation when hosting a crowded indoor event, “or better yet, spending time outdoors during our great Saskatchewan summer.”

content of the article

Twelve other Saskatchewan residents were reported Thursday as having died from COVID-19, with southeastern Saskatchewan reporting the highest death rate. That brings the total number of deaths since the pandemic began to 1,424, of which 469 (about 33 percent of the total) were reported this year.

The Department of Health’s latest epidemiological report says three of the newly reported deaths in the most recent reporting period have occurred due to a “delay” in death dates. The remaining nine occurred between February 20 and June 11.

It continues a similar trend from last week when the government said 15 deaths added to the records may have occurred as early as September 2021. This missing information was discovered through a “regular audit process”.

Hospital admissions continue to fall, from 165 residents in hospital to 157, with five in critical condition as of Wednesday. That number has continued to decline since it peaked in April.

During that period, two confirmed COVID-19 outbreaks were reported in nursing homes, down from five. One was in the Saskatoon Zone and the other in the Southeast Zone.

Only from June 12th to 18th 4.141 Vaccine doses were given, and nearly 90 percent of those were booster doses. The proportion of people aged 12 and over who received a third “booster” shot remained stable at about 49 percent from last week.

The news seems to be coming at us faster and faster. From COVID-19 updates to politics and crime and everything in between, it can be difficult to keep up. With this in mind, the Saskatoon StarPhoenix has created one Afternoon headlines Newsletter that can be delivered to your inbox daily to ensure you are up to date with the day’s most important news. Click here to login.

Leave a Comment