If you’re a new recipient of Social Security payments, you’re probably wondering when you’ll get your check. Not all Social Security recipients get their checks the same day — in fact, there are multiple days each month when payments are made. We explain it below.
You should know that toowe saw in 40 years, starting in January 2023. You should receive a letter in December informing you of your benefit rate for next year.
We’ll let you know when you’ll receive your next Social Security check and how your payment date will be determined. More about this hereand .
How are Social Security payment dates determined?
The Social Security Administration sends payments on three different Wednesdays a month – the second, third, and fourth Wednesday. The Wednesday you get your money depends entirely on your date of birth. We’ll dismantle it.
- If your birthday falls between the 1st and 10th of the month, your payment will be sent on the second Wednesday of the month.
- If your birthday falls between the 11th and 20th of the month, your payment will be sent on the third Wednesday of the month.
- If your birthday falls between the 21st and 31st of the month, your payment will be sent on the fourth Wednesday of the month.
See the May schedule below.
What if I get both Social Security and SSI?
If you received Social Security benefits before May 1997, or if you receive both Social Security and Supplemental Security Income (SSI), the payment schedule is different. Instead, you’ll receive your Social Security payment on the third day of every month and your SSI on the first day of every month.
However, these payment dates will change if the 1st or 3rd of a month falls on a weekend. For example, last April 3rd fell on a Sunday, so you will receive your Social Security payment two days earlier, on April 1st.
When will I get my May Social Security check?
Here is the May schedule (PDF) of when you might get your Social Security check and/or SSI money.
- April 29: SSI payments are paid early for those who receive both SSI and Social Security. May 1st fell on a Sunday this year, so recipients received their money earlier.
- May 3: Social Security payment for those who receive both SSI and Social Security or have received Social Security since before May 1997.
- May 11: Social security payment for people with birthdays between May 1st and May 10th.
- May 18: Social security payment for people with birthdays between May 11th and May 20th.
- 25. May: Social security payment for people with birthdays between May 21st and May 31st.
What if I don’t receive my check on the expected date?
If your check doesn’t arrive by the date listed above because of your date of birth or other circumstances, Social Security will tell you to wait an additional three postal days before calling. If you still haven’t received it, you can call 800-772-1213 to speak to a representative.
The SSA notes that wait times to speak to a representative are shorter Wednesday through Friday and later in the day (between 4:00 p.m. and 7:00 p.m. local time).
While you wait, you can also access your Social Security benefits online by visiting ssa.gov/myaccount.
We will update this story every month as payment dates change.