Editor’s note: This story contains alleged reports of sexual assault. If you or someone you know is a sexual assault survivor, contact the National Sexual Assault Hotline at 1-800-656-4673 or at https://www.rainn.org.
San Diego State University said Monday it opened an investigation nine months after a woman claimed she was raped by five football players.
The woman, now 18, publicly shared details of the incident, which took place in October 2021 when she was a minor. In her report, the young woman said she was assaulted in a bedroom during an off-campus party on October 16.
“I know it wasn’t my fault. I know it wasn’t consensual being a 17-year-old girl who’s nearly unconscious in a room with several guys 90% of the time, bloody and bouncing in and out of consciousness,” she told CBS 8.
According to a report in June That Los Angeles Times, two athletes who were not at the party sent messages through the school’s anonymous reporting system, which were reviewed by SDSU’s Executive Associate Athletic Director and Deputy Title IX Coordinator. An athlete gave the name of one of the players, a senior.
“Ninety-nine percent of soccer players are aware of the rape of five people, leaving the rest of student athletes wondering why nothing is being done,” the student said, according to records from The times. They added: “Every responsible person here at SDSU needs to be aware of this, including [San Diego State President] Adela de la Torre.”
Scroll to Next
In Monday’s announcement, the university addressed why it had not yet opened an investigation, citing, “The San Diego Police Department requested SDSU not to take any action, including opening an investigation and conducting interviews, regarding the reported off-campus sexual assault in order not to jeopardize his own criminal investigation.”
In a message to the university community on Monday, de la Torre wrote that last month the SDPD gave the school the green light to launch its own investigation into the matter. It originally asked the university “not to do anything that might jeopardize or interfere with its criminal investigations, including initiating our own investigations,” per de la Torre.
State of San Diego told sports illustrated in June that she had received neither the confirmed name of the survivor nor the names of anyone considered a suspect by the SDPD, and that no survivor or witness reported the incident off campus to the university. The school now knows the woman’s identity, according to de la Torre’s recent community statement.
In addition, the university has created a publicly accessible website that includes a timeline and frequently asked questions.
The woman also spoke recently The times and expressed disappointment at the university’s response to the matter.
“It’s something that sticks in your memory forever,” she said. “And all I can really do right now is just hope that somehow I can come to some kind of justice and feel like people are facing consequences for their actions because I feel like they’re facing consequences for theirs.” to be confronted with actions.”